For 45 years Don has been an entrepreneur, inventor, author and coach. Because of his extensive experience building six successful companies from the ground up and working with individuals of all ages who are facing life and career issues, Don brings a unique perspective to his coaching clients and helps them to:
- Understand the innate talents and abilities that make them unique and impact their education and career decisions most profoundly
- Create a Personal Vision for their education, career and life based on the long-proven Whole Person Method that integrates the other 7 key elements that are vital to every individual’s success and satisfaction
- Improve their leadership and management skills from the inside out
- Explore career options within or outside of their present company or organization
- Effectively make use of the tools and resources that grow their productivity and satisfaction as well as the members of their team
Don is also the creator and host of the international podcast “Discover Your Talent~Do What You Love.” Since May of 2015, every week individuals from around the globe share their experiences, tools and strategies about how they’ve built careers of success, satisfaction and freedom on their own terms. He and his team have also launched The Discover Your Talent Program, which is designed to help individuals from age 15 to retirement maximize their higher education, career and life planning options. Don is the coauthor of Don’t Waste Your Talent—The 8 Critical Steps to Discovering What You Do Best (2nd Edition), and The Lemming Conspiracy—How to Redirect Your Life from Stress to Balance. He also coauthored a weekly column in The Atlanta Business Chronicle—“Your Life’s Work”—for several years and has been quoted and interviewed in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The Atlanta Journal & Constitution, Advertising Age, Adweek and many other regional and national publications, radio and TV stations and scores of podcasts.
Over the course of his 45-year career Don has founded/cofounded innovative companies in three different fields:
- Publishing (14 years)
- Brown’s Guides: An environmental and recreational magazine (1972-1980)
- The Complete Lawyer: An online personal development magazine (2003-2009)
- Advertising (11 years)
- HutchesonShutze: A full-service ad agency that represented Fortune 500 clients like Georgia Pacific, Sylvan Learning, BellSouth Mobility, Wachovia Banks, et al. (1979-1990)
- Education, Career and Life Planning (20 years)
- The Highlands Program: Introduced the Whole Person Method to the marketplace, which is applicable to individuals and organizations alike. (1990-2001)
- The “Discover Your Talent~Do What You Love” international podcast and The Discover Your Talent Program. (2015 to Present)
After serving for three years in the U.S. Army as a Russian Linguist, Don earned his B.A. degree from Emory University in Russian Studies. In 2001 he received his coach training through Coach U. and is credentialed through the International Coach Federation.
- President of a Fortune 500 Restaurant Chain to improve each executive’s communication skills as well as the collaboration and communication between departments
- Partners in a Top 100 National Law Firm to enhance the skills needed to effectively manage the expanding number of associates in each of their practices
- President of a Regional Real Estate Holding Company to help managers and staff members effectively engage with their rapidly expanding number of renters in their properties
- Senior Partner of 25 years in a mid-sized Regional Law Firm to research, plan and transition from his law practice into a full-time teaching position as professor at a local state university
Business Development Coaching
- Executive of a Regional Investment Firm to understand and deploy both traditional and online marketing modalities to build their brand as well as increase the flow of quality traffic, leads and sales
- Owner of a Regional PR Firm about the most effective networking and speaking strategies to build the firm’s awareness and reputation
When I started my career in advertising I joined Don’s ad agency as an account executive. As new staff members joined his firm, he immediately shared a simple idea of what his vision and mission were for each member of the team. We each should strive to embody the values of: Integrity, Compassion, Creativity and Will to Win, in that order. He set the example for us and as his career progressed he has stayed true to those ideals. I consider him my first mentor and life-long friend.
President of a Regional Advertising Agency
Don is an excellent example of the balance between creativity and outside-the-box thinking with an equal respect for the importance of ensuring that the plan of action and attention to detail are equally honored. We brainstormed several strategies for my near-term and long-term career options and were equally zealous about doing the research and execution to make it all work. It worked beautifully and I am exactly where I wanted to be.
Entrepreneur in the Healthcare Field