EJ Stern focuses her coaching and consulting on working with lawyers and other professional services providers who want to grow their practices, build their books of business and improve their time management skills.
Her results-oriented business development approach helps her clients create best practices and provides the accountability necessary for success. EJ’s clients range from associates who are at the beginning of the business development process and want to learn the tools needed to create a thriving practice to established partners who are seeking to increase their books of business and broaden their client base.
EJ also works with law firm partners considering a lateral move. Her strategic guidance helps lateral candidates present a compelling story, prepare for the interview process, draft a persuasive lateral partner questionnaire, and negotiate a lucrative compensation package.
In addition, EJ has experience training and coaching professionals on time management. She has developed a systematic approach to effectively manage and maximize time, including prioritizing competing deadlines, communicating with partners and supervisors on the status of work in progress, planning workflow to ensure that deadlines are met, and proactively interacting with leadership to become a valued resource.
EJ has more than 17 years of experience offering training, strategic consulting, and individual coaching. Prior to joining Novateur Partners in 2019, she served as US Head of Client Development for Clyde & Co, an international law firm based in the UK. Prior to joining Clyde & Co, EJ spent nearly 10 years at Troutman Pepper (f/k/a Troutman Sanders), an Am Law 100 firm, where she held the position of Associate Director, Business Development Coaching. She also held marketing positions at Steptoe & Johnson and Proskauer Rose.
EJ is a graduate of the Skillful Means Coach the Coach® and GrowBIG® training programs. She received her Master’s degree from New York University, summa cum laude, and her Bachelor’s degree from American University, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa.
Business Development & Time Management Coaching
- Partner at Am Law 100 firm to cultivate internal firm network and identify cross-selling opportunities, resulting in more than $250,000 in new business
- Service partner at Am Law 100 firm to transform into multimillion-dollar rainmaker by redefining sales process, developing a deeper understanding of client base, and refining value proposition
- Associate at Am Law 100 firm to assess, organize and prioritize caseload, resulting in greater efficiency and more streamlined approach to work
- Partner at boutique firm to identify, prioritize, and leverage network to deliver two new clients in first year of coaching
- Associate at boutique law firm to develop strategies to more efficiently manage time, resulting in greater productivity
- Senior Associate at Am Law 100 firm to develop business development plan and sharpen marketing skills to grow book of business in order to become a partner
- Partner at boutique firm to refine brand and improve self-promotion in order to increase visibility in the industry
- Administrative professional at Am Law 200 firm on how to assess deadlines and manage expectations of supervisor
EJ is a terrific business development coach. She served as a sounding board for ideas, offered practical suggestions, helped track my progress and ensured that I consistently kept business development on the radar.
Partner, AmLaw 100 Firm
I wholeheartedly recommend EJ. Working with her, I was able to more clearly define my career objectives and create a business development plan that aligned with them. EJ held me accountable, encouraged me throughout the process, and had great out-of-the-box ideas for networking during COVID. The work paid off: in addition to building new relationships and strengthening existing ones, I saw my revenue increase.
Partner, Litigation Boutique
EJ was instrumental in making my lateral move a success. She dedicated the time to perfect my LPQ and helped me craft a message that resonated with firm decision makers. If you are serious about making a lateral move, it’s critical to have a coach on your side, and EJ’s the best there is!
Partner, Am Law 200 Firm