Dan Sheedy began his career as a Captain in the United States Marine Corps and later worked as a senior leader in the financial services industry. As an executive coach, Dan partners with individual leaders to develop potential into peak performance and leadership effectiveness. He has also built a significant career coaching practice working with attorneys and corporate leaders exploring transition. His expertise in salary negotiations helps his clients optimize their compensation packages.
Clients describe Dan’s style as realistically positive and friendly but firm. He always asks clients to stretch to achieve what is possible. Dan’s action-oriented coaching focuses on helping his clients to:
- ascertain their strengths and leverage them for more senior roles
- move from doing the business to leading the business
- recognize and overcome roadblocks to success
- understand and utilize their natural abilities
- develop and enhance conflict resolution skills
Prior to transitioning into executive coaching in 2011, Dan spent 20+ years as a executive in the asset management and alternative fund industries at firms including GWG Life, Barrow Hanley and JP Morgan. He also served in the United States Marine Corps and attained the rank of Captain.
Dan received his coach training through the Co-Active Training Institute and is credentialed through the International Coach Federation (ICF). He also serves on the faculty of The Academy of Creative Coaching, an ICF certified coaching program, teaching others the fundamentals and principles of professional coaching.
Dan earned a Master of Business Administration in Management from Golden Gate University, a Bachelor of Science in Finance from Auburn University, a Certificate in Employment Law from Cornell University, and a Fundamentals of Sustainability Accounting (FSA) from the Value Reporting Foundation- SASB.
List of Assessments Certified to Use
- Highlands Ability Battery
- CCL 360 Benchmark Assessment
- Behavioral Style DISC™ Profile
- Gallup StrengthsFinder
- VP of Shared Services of Fortune 500 insurance firm to develop executive presence and idea communication to enable growth to SVP role
- SVP of Accounting of Fortune 200 financial services firm to improve delegation skills and develop executive presence
- CFO of a PE backed financial technology firm on effectively communicating with and managing a dispersed team
- VP Global Head of Real Estate for Corporate Assets, VP Global Head of Facilities and SVP of Shared Services of a Fortune 350 Insurance Company. Team and individual coaching on team dynamics and how to have greater influence in organization
- General Counsel of PE backed financial technology firm to add global strategy role and to create a stronger leadership voice and presence internally and with PE investors
- Senior V.P./Director of Fortune 100 media company firm to manage dispersed team during a time of organizational change
- Senior Director of national insurance brokerage company to and tell his organization’s story more effectively in the marketplace and lead a PE growth initiative
- Managing Partner in regional financial services executive search firm to improve internal and external communication skills, develop team members and manage an ever-growing client base
- S.V.P. at national real estate investment company to improve leadership confidence and competence, communication with C-level executives, professional presence, management and listening skills
- CFO of specialty finance company to build succession strategy and improve transparency in team leadership
- Senior technology professional looking to jumpstart his career in a new focus area of Fintech
- Attorneys at various firms looking to leave the law practice but utilize skills in a new career focus
- Multiple individuals using the Highlands Ability Battery as the basis for melding natural abilities with career aspirations
- Lawyer at AmLaw 200 firm to shift practice areas and find new role in another, larger firm.
- Lawyer at AmLaw 200 firm to find new role as general counsel in the energy sector
- Operational leader at large law firm to find new role after downsizing
Dan has been instrumental at enhancing my professional journey, and life. His demeanor, insights, caring presence and acute coaching skills are talents he shares to help one unlock the best from within. A genuine good guy with cerebral chops to challenge the best of us – you want Dan in your corner.
I have known Dan for 21 years as a coach, consultant, and portfolio manager. I have always found Dan to be an exceptional, creative leader and also a person able to help others develop their potential and identify their blind spots.
Dan combines a keen analytical problem-solving style with a sincere and compassionate desire to help his coaching and consulting clients.