Julian is a commercial lawyer turned leadership coach, a deep listener and a holistic thinker.
Julian has over 20 years’ experience as a lawyer advising major global organisations in the UK, Europe and Asia. He has a breadth of experience in a range of industries including retail, IT, food and drink, branded goods, manufacturing, licensing and sport.
As a coach, Julian works with leaders, founders, founding teams and CEOs in law firms and businesses who want to develop their leadership capacity and are facing the specific pressures (both external and internal) that come with that growth, such as:
- leading a growing workforce;
- making difficult or complex decisions;
- managing stakeholder expectations;
- finding the balance between work and private life; and
- the loneliness that can come from being in a leadership position.
Julian’s clients appreciate an approach which is empathetic, creative, non-judgmental, perceptive, and provocative (in the sense of asking piercing questions that really make them think!)
- CEO and co-founder of a materials innovation company. Coaching focused on: identifying and navigating blind spots as they implemented organisational changes; helping them plot out actionable steps to move forward in the areas of structure, culture, planning and staffing; challenging their thinking to provoke different perspectives; acting as a sounding board and trusted advisor in order to help them avoid burn-out and fatigue; helping them foster other leaders in the team; and improving communication (within the business and to the market more broadly).
- Co-Founders of a groundbreaking chemical recycling company. Coaching each co-founder separately, and both co-founders together, focused on: managing expectations of an aggressive investor; ensuring effective communication with a fast-growing workforce in a significantly different timezone/culture; and tolls and techniques to deal with anxiety and stress.
- Leadership team of a biomanufacturing company. Conducting a 360 degree feedback process for all seven members of the leadership team, and conducting individual 1:1 feedback sessions, with a view to creating a development program for the team/individuals.
- Founding team (of three) of planet-centric technology company. Team coaching focused on: creating space for constructive feedback between founders; creating a set of agreements around ways of working (individually and collectively); and creating a culture of celebrating the successes (in the founding team and across the business).
- CEO and co-founder of a technology company in the textile industry. Coaching focused on: imposter syndrome; improving communication to senior employees; managing anxiety; practicing less haste and more patience; and maintaining equilibrium in the face of a stressful investment round.
- CEO and co-founder of a medical device company. Coaching focused on: increasing their leadership capability; improving communications with board and investors; and making a decision whether to continue as CEO in period between seed raise and Series A.
- CEO and co-founder of an AI company. Coaching focused on: understanding what leadership means to them; managing stress; improving communication skills; practising more patience and becoming less reactive; and time management and prioritization skills.
- CTO of an AI company. Coaching focused on: increasing their leadership capability; communicating upwards and downwards; time management and prioritization; understanding and helping to remove blockers to progress.
- CIO of an AI company. Coaching focused on: improving work-life balance; time management and prioritsation; and scaling back activity to become more productive.
- CEO and co-founder of a payments technology company. Coaching focused on: managing anxiety in the face of a stressful funding round; enhancing their leadership capability following a 360 degree review; and improving communication to a young team.
- CEO and co-founder of a fertility technology company. Coaching focused on improving communication across the business; and managing their exit from the company.
Our work together has been super fruitful over the last few months, thank you Julian!
I don’t think I would have been able to navigate the many challenges of being a CEO without Julian’s reflective and thoughtful guidance.
It is Julian’s curiosity, his questioning, that helps guide conversations that lead us together to new insights and actions to better explore around being a better leader.